Hybrid learning and remote learning are a permanent option
Hybrid learning is turning out to be a permanent fixture rather than a one-time anomaly. Many colleges and universities are now offering a combination of classes and formats that include both online and hybrid options.
The ability to quickly move to virtual learning offers institutions the flexibility to return to remote learning on a temporary basis as necessary, particularly as pandemic uncertainty remains. For instance, several colleges in California, New Jersey, and other states announced that their spring semesters would be fully remote due to the surge in the omicron variant of COVID-19 that took place in early January 2022.
Corporate organizations are finding that hybrid learning offers more opportunities for continuing education and corporate training. Companies are providing more training opportunities as part of reskilling plans, and remote learning allows more employees to have access to training.
Advanced video platforms and solutions can provide a foundation for remote and hybrid remote learning solutions that meet goals and expectations for both learners and instructors. Key goals of hybrid learning programs include flexibility, inclusion, communications and fostering connections.
Benefits of hybrid remote learning
Remote and hybrid learning options work well in a number of situations. We recently cited some of the benefits in our overview of low code e-learning platforms: “Virtual and hybrid learning open up learning opportunities for students that need more versatile and flexible options in place of attending classes in person. Meanwhile, given the uncertainty surrounding the pandemic, a high-quality virtual learning environment allows colleges to pivot from in-person classes into online learning whenever needed.”
A typical hybrid program or approach includes both in-person and remote/virtual classes. However, some institutions have also incorporated a hyflex approach, which includes an element of flexibility that allows students to choose the option that suits their needs. Some hyflex programs offer students a choice of delivery methods, for example, both synchronous and asynchronous participation in virtual learning, or the ability to switch to in-person learning.
For students with limited schedules or limited ability to travel, hybrid learning can be a possible solution to allow them to participate in programs they otherwise couldn’t access. Hybrid learning programs also give institutions the ability to either increase enrollment, increase the capacity of an individual class section and meet the varied needs of their students.
Best practices include advanced video and technology tools
It’s critical for remote and hybrid remote programs to follow a number of guidelines and best practices in order to be successful. The highest quality remote programs are able to replicate aspects of an in-person learning experience. Some elements that distinguish higher-quality remote learning programs include the following:
- Courses should provide students with immersive and engaging course material, content, and activities.
- Programs need to be accessible in multiple formats and from multiple devices, including PC, tablet, and smartphone devices.
- Remote programs and courses must allow for inclusion. Remote and hybrid remote students should experience the equivalent learning outcomes as students who are attending classes in person.
- Remote programs must provide opportunities for collaboration and communication between students and instructors.
- Students must receive authentic feedback and assessment from their instructors during their remote or virtual learning experiences.
By incorporating advanced video technology and solutions, both schools and corporate training programs can build a foundation to offer an optimal remote learning experience to learners. By selecting a video conferencing platform that provides long-term viability and adaptability, organizations can build a solution that can suit their needs and then transform it on the fly as their needs change.
Here are some of the core features to look for when choosing a videoconferencing platform to create optimal remote learning programs and experiences:
- Ability to incorporate both synchronous and asynchronous video options
- Capabilities including high-resolution video and superior sound quality to produce a superior experience
- Platform should incorporate technology tools to allow for collaboration and small group work, such as whiteboards, document sharing and annotation
- A video solution that connects seamlessly with other tools such as chat messaging, as well as connecting with a learning management system
- For corporate training, look for a video solution that connects with other business technology tools, such as Slack
- Platform security is critical to protect both students and instructors. Remote higher education experiences must meet security requirements to protect participants’ identities, personal information, as well as content
Lumicademy’s video conferencing solution offers secure, easy-to-use, customizable features to completely transform your organization’s remote learning program. Lumicademy’s platform also seamlessly integrates with the leading industry Learning Management Solutions. Learn more: /how-it-works/